Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Those Big Fat Core Beliefs

As we go along on our journey we occasionally hit upon some very deep core beliefs that have such a hold on us that we are almost literally brought to our knees. I've run into a few of those along the way, especially when I am stepping out of my comfort zone and doing something new or something I may have attempted to do previously but was thoroughly rebuffed by the fears engendered by beliefs. These beliefs aren't unusual, they are just deeply held and thoroughly convincing. We generally don't even notice we have them as we go along in our day to day lives because we have learned not to challenge them, to live within the boundaries that are marked out by them. These beliefs are deeply mired in fear so that is where you can find them, by asking yourself what you're afraid of when you feel yourself being stopped in your tracks with panic or anxiety or terror. What you fear is what you believe to be true. It could be something like 'I can't do that', 'nobody is there for me' or 'everybody will leave me or shun me' or 'I have no voice' or 'nobody really sees me or understands me'. Notice the absolutism in these statements; can't, nobody, everybody are all words used when we are dealing with beliefs. They are not likely to be true are they? Can't? Nobody? Everybody? Really? They're great clues as you mine for what's really going on.
Here's another kicker about these particularly deep core beliefs, it isn't likely that spending a couple of minutes being present to the feelings and realizing the falsity of the beliefs is going to do it. There are times when the realization is so overwhelming that you may need to spend extra quality time bringing compassion to the seemingly debilitating feelings. This isn't about wallowing in the feelings but rather being kind and gentle with yourself as you continue to question the beliefs and open to wonder. I wonder what life would be like if I didn't believe this? I wonder what it would be like if I didn't run away but rather stayed present and open right now?
Who knows what's possible but I assure there's some really powerful energy that's been trapped behind this kind of belief. Staying with the process and constantly returning to compassion and wonder when the feelings rise up again and again is a great way to release that energy and open to the wonders beyond.
Life beyond belief, it truly is a wonder.


My June Life Beyond Belief Newsletter if out. If you are not already signed up to receive my monthly newsletter, you can view it here: Essentials. You can also sign up on my website at www.yvonneracine.com and get a free audio of the Liberation Process as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment