Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Believing

I had a very interesting conversation at a networking breakfast I attended yesterday. By the way, these things have become great fun for me, unlike my memory of the experiences I had with them back in the '90s. Some groups at least are doing them more like speed dating now which makes it more fun and much easier to meet people. But I digress...

Someone was asking me about my work and I was describing how I work with people to help them move beyond their limiting beliefs, etc. She then made a comment about a button she had that she thought she should give me. It was one of those 'Believe' buttons that I have indeed seen around. My comment back to her was that it would actually be the opposite of that. I think she got my point then.

It is interesting to me just how how deeply attached we are to certain concepts such as the one that says we need to believe in something. Don't get me wrong, I've still got a boat load of beliefs, I just don't take them too seriously for the most part and the ones I do find myself caught up in get the liberation treatment as soon as I realize what's going on; but again I digress. It seems as soon as the word belief is mentioned we automatically go to our default concept about it. This is of course true about any idea we may find ourselves listening to, we don't generally hear what is being said, we simply jump to what we already 'know' about what is being said. (I'm really having a hard time staying on track here, every sentence seems to take me to yet another idea)

Anyway, back to beliefs, so what I'm wandering about trying to convey in this post is the wondering, what indeed is one to do if one is not to believe? What would my button say? How about something like, "Don't Believe, Be". Basically that's what's left when I'm not caught up in some belief or concept, being.


Now that's a wonder!

No comments:

Post a Comment