Wednesday, September 14, 2011

As Life Presents Itself

In the process of life you really never know what's going to show up, on the inside or what appears to be in the outer world.

One of my favourite lines from the movie The Four Feathers was when an African tribesman who had taken it upon himself to protect and care for a former British  soldier was asked by the soldier why he was risking his life for him responded, 'Because God put you in my way.'

That thought has come up for me regularly over the past few years. It is a great reminder that whatever shows up is really Life unfolding, putting whatever we need 'in our way'. Sometimes it looks a lot like something unwanted yet if it is here avoiding it doesn't seem to work.

This is showing up in a family of origin situation for me right now and I have to admit, I had been trying to avoid it, telling myself stories that allowed me to pretend I didn't have to step up but it wasn't the truth. It is in my way, it is somewhat unpleasant and I have judged it to be quite an impossible situation in the past. Having realized that helplessness and powerlessness were only concepts a short while ago, when those thoughts came up for me in this situation I soon recognized the falsehood and shifted into 'I really have no idea what this means or what I can do.' I started wondering what was possible and sure enough I got my answer.

 Now stepping into what has been avoided. Even though these are only the beginning stages of untangling the mess, I feel a lot better about it and much more in tune with what Life is presenting me.

I asked myself another question in the shower this morning, 'What do I have to give right now?' (Not necessarily related to this particular situation). The answer came quickly and clearly, 'Unconditional Presence'.  Mmm, delicious.

What opportunity is Life presenting you today?


No comments:

Post a Comment