Friday, February 10, 2012

Grace

For some reason as I was in my reflective time this morning the idea of grace popped in. The definition of grace as found in Mirriam-Webster is:
a : unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification b : a virtue coming from God c : a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace. 

Anyone who knows me would know that these definitions really don't work for me. I love redefining familiar terms. What I was experiencing this morning when the word showed up was a sense of oneness and flow. That place where the guards are all down, energy is bubbling up and there is awareness of the perfection of what is. That is how I would define grace. Perhaps in some ways it is similar to the dictionary definition except that as I see it, it isn't bestowed on certain people and not on others, isn't selective in any way, it's always present and available. 

If it's always here then why don't we experience it all the time? Because we aren't always available would be my guess. When my mind is busy figuring and thinking and solving the problems of the world it's full and it's distracted from the present and from the presence of grace. It's like hiding a light under a blanket. The light is there, all you have to do is remove the blanket. As soon as I stop the busy-ness of mind there it is! There are times when the busy-ness is so convincing it's hard to even imagine stopping, breathing and just being present to allow grace to lead the way. Yet there it is, always waiting for our attention. 

Someone mentioned to me the other day that it really was just too simple and I most certainly agree. That's undoubtedly why we resist it so much. We love complication. It seems to give us some kind of meaning and purpose even if it is so very unnecessary in order to be what we already are. 

Could the is-ness of life truly be what we have been seeking all along? Hmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment