Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Safety in Sameness?

What does anything really mean? I have my ideas, you have yours and they may be similar, or not. The only significance there is in any of it is how it affects our daily lives; do the meanings we assign things align with what is most important to us or are we just operating on automatic or default programing?

I often stop to question the meaning I give interactions or events, especially when they leave me feeling uncomfortable somehow. When I do I find that I've usually gotten caught up in my own point of view, not because it's right or that it is superior but because it's a habit. I was having a conversation the other day about how many people like to go to church because they like the sense of safety they get in knowing what is going to happen. There is a ritual going on that is predictable and makes them comfortable. I had to giggle a little because that is the very thing I railed against when I was in ministry, that little box that felt more like a coffin than a safe space for me after a while.

I started having weekly gatherings on Sunday mornings recently because it was a convenient time but it isn't about the kind of safety that comes from sameness. I haven't had the same set-up twice and I never know exactly what we're going to be doing which is where the juice is for me. There are certainly parameters and intentionality but I see this as a place to explore and go beyond the safety zone. There is always the lure of falling into a routine however and it may happen at times but the intention will undoubtedly guide us in shaking things up when needed.

Life is always doing what it needs to do to lead us on our unique journey so what is, is and what will be will be. It's all perfect.

Namaste


No comments:

Post a Comment