Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cancelling Beliefs

Sitting in the backyard enjoying yet another dog day of summer. I feel so blessed as I enjoy the gentle breeze and listen to the chimes gently singing their songs.


I've been pondering the interesting phenomenon of duality in terms of our desires and beliefs of late, instigated through a couple of different conversations.These aren't new realizations but I'm not sure if I've written about them from this particular perspective.

I've noticed that for every unrealized desire or dream there seems to be a corresponding belief that it is not possible or will never happen for 'me'. For instance you may have a desire for a loving, intimate relationship and have had for a long time. Along with this unmet desire there is undoubtedly lurking in the background of consciousness a subtle (or not so subtle) pattern of thought that would say something like 'I'll never have that' or 'I never get what I really want'.

We have become so adept at being in denial for the most part that even though we may be vaguely aware of the canceling belief for the desire, there is a tendency to ignore it and convince ourselves that we don't know why we don't seem to be able to have or experience what we really want. 'It must be because I'm unworthy or bad or not doing enough or I'm not enough.' Really? Great distractions but I don't think they have much to do with the truth. When you bother to examine these ideas they usually don't even make sense. What could you possibly have done that was so bad?

I'd be willing to bet that something painful happened that you didn't understand once upon a time and you assumed it had something to do with you. You then inserted whatever you may have been told at some point or what you decided it must have meant and have been looking at life from behind that veil ever since.

If you find there's such a desire or dream in your life, I suggest you take a minute to question the validity of the beliefs that have been distorting your vision instead of denying them. You'll never know what's possible as long as you've already decided it isn't.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment