Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Prayer of Presence

Being in the moment and present to whatever is going on within and without is my favourite form of prayer. I've noticed that when I think I need comforting, the most effective way to achieve that is not by trying to talk myself into or out of things but rather getting still and allowing the thoughts that are creating the discomfort to drift off into the oblivion from whence they came. Noticing the deep silence that is left brings me to a still point which is what I would call the 'peace that passes understanding'.

There's a big difference between mental activity that is trying to 'get' something or somewhere and the very simple and spontaneous arising of being. In this place there is no right or wrong or good or bad, there is what is, simple, beautiful and perfect no matter what is 'happening'. The moment I shift into thinking about what is happening the peace tends to recede and the activity of mind takes over offering all manner of opinion and judgment about what is, which is in itself neither good nor bad; it is simply not so peaceful anymore.

Our nature is a thoughtful one and so to expect ourselves not to think about stuff is pretty unreasonable really. For me it is sufficient to be able to cut off the chatter at any given moment and be fully present beyond thought, beyond feeling, beyond 'me' which I achieve by going through these things rather than trying to avoid them.

Sounds so simple doesn't it? It is rather, but it isn't always easy, especially when there are strong emotions involved. Add to that the human tendency of trying to get away from anything uncomfortable and you find it is really quite a challenge. Bottom line is that it is a practice, like any other; playing the piano, becoming proficient at a sport, learning a new skill of any kind really. It takes practice, practice, practice, and it's worth it to be able to see beyond the busy-ness of the mind to the peace and beauty of the moment.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment