Sunday, April 7, 2013

Need, Creativity and Flow

It's actually been fun and insightful to be journaling again after a 2+ year hiatus. Having a focus really helps the process too.

I've been experiencing a great deal of flow and ease the past several days. As usual this week after my presencing time this morning I started to write. As is so often the case what came forward was stuff I had not been aware of in my quiet time. That's why both the presencing and the writing seem to fit so well; both elements bring forth awareness, ideas, creativity and the opportunity to move into ever expanding abundance on every level.

This morning's thoughts had to do with needs, creativity and flow. I was feeling a great deal of gratitude for life and how it is unfolding when the awareness popped up that the elevated sense of flow and creativity I have been experiencing has to do with my emotional needs being so well met.

I have been working with emotional needs and changing the way I relate to these needs within myself for years now. Funny how I can still be fascinated and amazed by how it all works.

When I made the decision many years ago to love myself in ways I had previously been unwilling to I had no idea where it would really take me and that it would develop into a way of life for me as well as becoming the focus of my work with others. There is no quick fix involved in this work; it is not a 'cleanse' that you do for a while then go back to the old way of being; it is not something that can be done to manipulate outcomes or the universe; it is not something that really has a major effect when only used in times of crisis either. This kind of relationship with the whole self requires constant and consistent attention and dedication, and it is by far the most rewarding relationship I have ever had.

Anyway, back to this mornings musings about how when we are not spending all our time and energy on managing or controlling emotional needs and the behaviours that arise from those needs, creativity and flow just happens. This is where we really experience grace in life.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of creativity comes out of emotional neediness and pain but not a lot of ease and flow and gratitude. The kind of creativity born of pain may solve problems and initiate all manner of invention but the inner experience is not usually a truly joyful one.

It's relatively easy for me to bring compassion, understanding and love to those previously unloved places within now, and it still requires focus and attention. Now that I have created a foundation that is much more trusting than it had been when I was manipulating to get needs met the move into flow and grace is much smoother and faster.

I have built the relationship I now have with myself over time and I would not be honest if I was to say it was easy to form this new habit of viewing the painful and uncomfortable feelings that arise with compassion. I have seen many people dabble in this and experience a sense of failure because it was tried a couple of times, there were some positive results but the old habits took over and then it was right back to the status quo. This is normal. The trick is to get back on the horse even when you don't feel like it.

For me the formula is:

Keep breathing.
Keep presencing.
Keep questioning the projections and pain inducing beliefs.
Keep opening to wonder and possibility.
Keep taking action as guided.

What ever you are doing to creating a more loving relationship with yourself, don't give up on yourself and even if you do, get back on track when you become aware of it.

The needs that have been calling for your loving attention are not the enemy, they are the doorways to expanded living. Instead of managing or trying to get rid of them attend to them and set yourself free.

What you are is so much more than any need or belief or feeling or experience. They are not what you are they are what you are having. It is possible that what you really want is already here, you just got lost in the maze of fearful thinking.

There really is light on the other side of the darkness.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment