Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Shift From Someday to Now

'Focus grasshopper', remember the master who used to speak those words on TV every week? Truly words of wisdom.

Focus and commitment are very closely related in my understanding of them. I remember reading or hearing somewhere that true freedom was to be found in commitment. I believe it was in response to the idea many people seem to live by that committing to a particular person or idea or desire would limit their freedom. I understand this idea well and have certainly been caught in its thrall as well. I have also come to know deeply that my true joy and freedom to experience what is most important to me is more likely to unfold when I am committed and focused than when I am drifting.

After spending some very intense time taking apart the structures of my belief systems I spent some time drifting but I soon became aware of what was next so I took steps in that direction and have been doing so with varying degrees of focus ever since. I've done a number of 40 day focus periods which I always benefited from and I've spent time wandering as well. It's all fine and every experience has its place in the unfolding of life. However, I have to say I'm so enjoying this focus period around financial abundance and grace and doing what I love that it makes me wonder why I bother with those unfocused times. Who knows? That is not a question that deserve much of my attention and energy, more rhetorical really.

One of the things that makes being committed and focused so much fun for me is that I have made a big shift in my life from being goal oriented to being journey oriented. I have an intention which is my focus but it isn't about 'someday' or when I 'arrive'. It's about now. I am experiencing what I want right now because I am looking at life through the lens of what I want rather than seeing it as something out there.

That is a huge change for me. I am not looking longingly at my desire and thinking its far away and unattainable which is where I would inevitably end up when I was goal oriented. Even attaining some of my goals didn't give me what I really wanted because I mistakenly thought it was about that thing rather than about me. Such convoluted thinking yet I know I am not alone in it.

Part of being present on the journey is the activity of becoming fully aware of those subtle little thoughts like 'what about me' or 'I'm not significant' or 'I'm afraid'. It's so easy to dismiss these ideas or be so in their grip that I don't even entertain the idea that they could be false. By bringing them to light and really seeing and feeling how untrue they I free myself from their grasp and I am free in this very moment to experience the abundance and grace that is always here.

Life is such a wonder!

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment